CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Major Irritation/frustration

Here's the latest update on the nursing grad school front....

Apparently nursing schools (and existing nurses) don't think anyone with any kind of psych issue currently or in the past should be allowed to become a nurse. Since I had a crappy childhood filled with emotional, psychological, and physical abuse, I am not capable of caring for people in a medical setting of any kind. It does not matter that I have spent years improving my own mental health and dealing with this past. It does not matter that I am a nearly straight A student now. It does not matter that I have completed all the pre-reqs and even taught some of them now. All that matters is that I *may* be unstable because more than 20 years ago my parents beat me! What a bunch of BS.

Also...I better not show up in anyone's ER with an anxiety issue either, because apparently that makes me the equivalent of an "obese drug seeker with fibromyalgia"...the other three biggest ER irritations. *sigh* Someone remind me why I want to work in the medical field?

5 comments:

Raine said...

I dont think I ever asked why you wanted to work in a health related field. My bad.

Mamabeek said...

Oh my goodness! Yes indeed... pile of rat crap. Because, you know, all the nurses I have ever met are SOOOO mentally sound and stable. HA!! Doctors too. Baw haw haw!!!

I'm so sorry this is happening. Time to breathe deeply and regroup, eh? But then I have NO idea what the bleep you've been up to this past year because I exited stage left just after my mom died and am only now poking around the blogsphere again. Thank you SO much for posting your year in review just before this. Just the thing I needed. =)

Hang in there... even if you have to readjust your grip and position.

Dr. Deb said...

WHAT?????

This is ridiculous.

Jade said...

I'm sorry you're facing this obsticle Sera. Are there any appeals you can make, or letters of reference or recommendation from your counselor and MD?

Dont give up! Where there is a will, there is a way.

Anonymous said...

Best of luck - today I discovered that Psychiatry can be a really crappy field - and I started residency 11 days ago. Why do any of us go into medicine?
Because we want to help others.
Why do we hate it?
The moronic bureaucracy.