Two days before I last posted, my research methods professor delivered her baby. This was actually on the evening of our class...she lectured that morning. We have not had class since then. I also just received an email stating that we will not have class next week. However, all power points for the class are online and our homework is due as stated on the syllabus...it is now due by email though. The teacher also indicates that she is available by email...I've only emailed her once and I did get a speedy response. I'm a little (a lot) stressed over this. I'm very happy for my teacher, but I wonder why, exactly, she chose to go ahead and teach this semester knowing she had a February due date. Research methods is not really a class one can teach themselves! Or, maybe it is. Of my returned assignments, I have gotten 9/10, 10/10, 10/10, and "Your interview protocol and informed consent are fantastic! I have no changes to suggest" 10/10.
So...I am doing VERY well in the class, but the stress is really overwhelming. I'll be honest, I was in tears over the interview protocol. It took far longer than I thought it would take, I had a midterm in another class (microbiology!) to study for, but the protocol was due before the midterm. I had (I thought) no idea what I was doing. It feels pretty good to get such positive feedback, and of course, a good grade, but DAMN! This is so hard.
S
Saturday, February 28, 2009
Research Methods
Posted by Battle Weary at 10:07 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


9 comments:
It can be very difficult, and it would really help if you had a teacher that you could interact with face-to-face. I, too, wonder why she decided to teach this semester? If it were me, I'd want the whole semester off!
Donna
oh my goodness! just because you can manage to teach yourself doesn't mean that's the best way to do it!
i'm glad for the prof, but it doesn't seem like she's being very respectful of the students or her profession, if she thinks that reading her power points will make up for her being there to teach. one point of teaching is that it gives you the information in ways you couldn't get it by reading something written down.
i hope she's either able to return soon, or that she finds someone to substitute while she isn't able to teach. you all deserve to have someone who is focused on teaching. (and i can't imagine being a new parent and trying to also teach at the same time... i suppose some people can do it, but it's situations like she's in that are the reason for the family medical leave act, because most people can't do both.)
i agree with donna, and she isnt helping her students by not being there i can imagine your frustration
I was struck by how strong you are doing in the class despite the obvious stress. You are a steel magnolia!
I'm with Deb. Amazing that you're doing so well with such a poorly structured class. Good for you!
Wow, you're doing great! Kudos to you for holding up so well in a difficult situation.
I agree with others that this was a bad plan on her part. At the least she should have arranged for a sub. When I read that you were asked to do everything as usual despite having no teacher my stomach dropped, but it appears you're handling it much better than I would!
Hope you did ok on your Micro exam.
:)
Donna,
When I mentioned to another Prof that this one thought she would take a week off after having her baby, the one I mentioned t to said "clearly this is her first child". I don't even have any kids and I know better than that!
JA,
So true JA. The power points are rather confusing at best. The added info a teacher would give is really needed!
Deb,
Thanks so much! But now I want to watch that movie. lol
Jade,
Thanks to you too. I'm really feeling like the class has no structure what-so-ever.
MB,
I really wish the teacher had arranged SOMETHING...a sub would have been the best option. But anything more then struggle through on your own would have been good.
I got 88% on the Micro exam...81% was the class average, so did okay. Since I've gotten in the 90's on all the quizzes, and 100% on all the labs so far...I have a solid A in the class. Now I just have to keep it that way!
I would feel a little unsure about that too. But it sounds like you're doing very well. I am glad of that.
frustrating!! Have you talked to her supervisor not just another professor. (Department head)
My humanities class was that bad last semester, very frustrating.
What bothered me the most, was that she had all these 18,19, 20 year old kids who were saying how much they hate anything related to humanities.
It is such an important part of American Society and yet,s he managed to destroy any interest.
Post a Comment